Sunday, February 1, 2009

An old trick revisited by the President

The negotiations to arrive at a bi-partisan consensus on the Stimulus Bill remind me of tactics used by all good car salesmen. Pelosi plays the part well of the salesman and Mr. Obama is the manager or the "closer". Pelosi tries to sell the car with all of the bells and whistles that we don't really want. The Republicans eventually reach an impasse and Pelosi says, "We will have to talk to my manager. I'm not authorized to give those items away like the condoms." In comes the President, I mean closer. Mr. Obama says, "OK, I really need to sell this car to meet my first 100 days quota. I really don't want to do this, but how about if I do away with the grass on the Mall? If I commit to that and a few other cuts, are we talking about doing business today?" Now the Republicans are in a tough spot. The kids (AKA the Governors) are yelling "Come on dad, we really want the car. We each want our own new window". The neighborhood is led by the Democrats in a chorus of "He doesn't care about his family". The Republicans reply that they really only needed a car that would get the job done and this car is way more than we can afford to buy with payments with interest and the maintenance is what will really kill us.

So what will the Republicans do?

Will the Republicans stand their ground?

I think that they need our support. That's the Stone Cold Truth.

1 comment:

  1. At last - a voice not afraid to "tell it like it is"...

    ReplyDelete